Total Pageviews

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Student protests in London Demo and Rob Kirk from Sky visits WINOL (week 8)

First of all, concerning the update for our last weeks’ debate issue, Chris and I have worked on the letter of apology and uploaded it onto the website and so far I have not received any correspondence from Michael Jardine, I am hoping that he took our good intentions on board and accepted the apology and forgiven the mistake, I will take his lack of response as a sign of acceptance, however will still be looking out for any letters or emails from him.

Before going into this week's details there is this week's WIN WITH WINOL presented by Charlotte Clark



Our plans for this week were extremely ambitious and we were looking forward to our new guest editor Rob Kirk, coming in this Wednesday and watching us in action and give a feedback afterwards. It was important we come out our best and so the pressure was on like never before especially on the news side. My features team had also a fantastic ideas lined up and few features to be finished from last week. One big thing for both, features and news this week was going to students demo in London and film student’s protests in London on Wednesday. I have appointed that to be covered by Jake Gable, and as I found out from the news conference on Monday afternoon Will from sports team was going to go to the demo to help filming (and so potentially we had two cameras covering it to make a news/feature – or a documentary on the events from that day) as well as Maddie and Andy who were covering it for news (incl. Package, and live OB from London).

The news bulletin for this week 10/11/10


As most of my team was filming the last meal of the student version of Come dine with me on Monday afternoon I communicated with them over the phone and took updates and gave them my suggestions for mew features. I suggested few ideas for my team members, comment article written by the Bishop of Winchester (ghosting) and transcribed by Thomas Hobbs; date website review in form of a day to day calendar and finalised with going for a date- Hannah seemed to like that idea and agreed to do it, she is also single and so it is going to be a sort of reality date website comparison film and article that will done in a week. Also over the weekend I read an article about NUJ protests and felt that would be quite a relevant and interesting subject to cover as a comment piece, which I also suggested for Thom to work on for me. Also on the Winchester council’s website I found a concert that will take place at the Railway Tavern that would be excellent to be covered by Thom as he is interested in the type of music that will be played, on Saturday 13th Akala, MOBo Award winning UK rapper will perform this week. I advised Thom to try to get an interview with the artist and film it as well as film the concert which would make fantastic pictures as cut-aways for the interview, as well as write a review on the concert.

Another idea that I suggested was to write an article on chosen graduates from our university ‘where am I year after I have graduated’, Thom said that he would like to cover that.

I also asked jake to go to London and film student protests demo on Wednesday for either news feature or a short documentary. On Tuesday roles within the production changed around and they requested Jake from my team to be a presenter for the news bulletin on Wednesday I didn't want us to loose such opportunity and decided to do to London instead of Jake. I took over his permission for filming and a ticket to go on the coach on Wednesday morning. The trip turned ut to be not quite as we expected it... it was hundred times better! Madie and Andy went to the same event to cover it for news and put a package together for the bulletin and Will Cooper (from the sports team) came along with me to help out in filming for features. The four of us experienced something that we have not yet before!

See experiences from London Students protest on 11th November incl events at the Millbank on that day here !
Thursday morning I started editing and could not wait to see all the footagethat we have collected (I planned to have it finished for wk 8) and therefore I was commited to stay late after hours on Thursday and Friday night to make sure I hadenough time to perfect the film. More on the documentary in week 8 when it was played instead of the bulletin.
From our plans for this week my team prepared number of ideas for me his week:

1. I have had my behind the scenes photo-essay from last week done and ready to go onto the website, which was uploaded at the beginning of this week. (completed and uploaded onto the webste this week)

I used my own photographyand practiced new editing techniques in Final Cut Pro, I learnt new techniques in photo editing and perfected photoshop.

2. Behind the scenes of feature making film, by Justyna – was finished, however after I had gone through it, I decided that it should still be worked on before it is uploaded onto the website. The footage was quite good and had good pictures, but audio was pretty week and the editing needed more tightening. It has a good potential and I like the idea but I decided to give it a little but more time to be re-edited. (to be re-edited for week 9- not completed-promised to complete for week 11)

3. Investigative article on depression because of being off work written by Stu- uploaded onto the site as a news article- I still have to chase it up to have an extended version of it for features from him. (not completed yet-to be chased week 10)

4. News feature article on a historic mansion that was going to be taken down, by Gareth from news (his idea was more suitable for features and so I suggested he does an article for me with lots of good pictures. (not completed yet-to be chased- promissed to have it completed by week 10, failed, I will chase it up)

5. Student version of the come dine with me, in which the whole team was involved – last meal was filmed on Monday this week and Claire and Katie took a role of editing – their first deadline was going to be the end of Wednesday this week and so the feature would be ready to be published in next week (wk 8). (to be edited and uploaded in week 10)

6. Restaurant Review, places to eat out for students, by Claire and Katie – girls decided that their film was not ready to even show it to me, I appreciated self criticism however I decided that I would still like to see it and make a judgment myself whether it is worth working on and how could e improve it. (to be chased-filmed, editing in progress- still in week 10)

7. Comment piece by Bishop of Winchester on last week’s bible ripping incident at the student union, by Thomas Hobbs (completed- to be uploaded in week 9 after we have received the confirmation from the Bishop that all the transcribed text is ok for us to be used and published onto the website)

8. Famous graduates from Winchester University article by Thomas Hobbs. He completed it this week. It will be published next week. (completed -and uploaded onto the website)

9. Budget Cuts article- in depth analysis of the Browne’s review by Thomas Hobbs (not completed yet-to be chased after, awaiting the decision on the fees)

10. The news feature about the graduation that was meant to be reedited by Jake Gable, unfortunately did not happen as Amy who filmed it and edited has not saved the scratch files and her tapes were corrupted and so even though we made quite a few attempts to make it work, we could not retrieve the footage and therefore the feature was not completed. (Not completed)

11. Wine tasting show in London, gonzo style feature by Claire and Katie to be covered on 11th November, which is this week. Girls had everything planned, organised permission for filming, press passes and even a possibility of a ticket fare claim back. (Filmed and to be finished and uploaded in week 10)

12. Christmas time fashion piece and signing of the Gok Won book in Southampton on 24th November- Katie and Claire are going to cover it (failed to cover- didn't manage to arrange meeting him)

13. All woman show, the ultimate ladies day out that I appointed to be covered on 7th November at Winchester guildhall- I have arranged to have covered (got the press passes and permission for filming)by Justina, Claire and Katie – unfortunately all three of the girls have backed out in the last minute and the event was not covered. The girls have not completed the task I gave them. (Not completed- team did not turn up on the event)