Total Pageviews

Monday 30 November 2009

Students Protests continue- Town Takeover in Reading and overnight success of WINOL

Winchester News Online, week 9, 23rd November, News Bulletin 25th November LIVE BULLETIN II Covering this week’s story for our News Bulletin, I joined students from Winchester in their trip to Reading, where they combined the powers to raise awareness of potential changes to University fees payments for future generations. Lord Mandelson launched a tuition fee review stating that fees could potentially significantly increase under a major Government review of university finance. ("The review’s final recommendations are not expected to be published until next summer") It was amazing to be at the place of news happening and capture real emotions and be able to film the whole event to share it with the rest of the community of students.
It was so far one of the most enjoyable news making adventures I have experienced. The DV tape was full of material for great story for this week’s news bulletin. After careful scrutiny of my fellow colleagues’ reporters, editors and myself watvhing my package over and over I thought that I was given the final go ahead. Unfortunately, the next morning I found out that my package had to be changed, that meant that my deadline nightmare had not finished. After editors’ meeting it was decided that my package was not balanced enough to go onto the bulletin unless I found quote from Government’s side, it was not going to be put on air. From the piece I was proud of, my story turned to not broadcast able at all. After reaching Central Government’s press officer, I managed to find the missing quote from Lord Mandelson’s Review. Unfortunately, technical trouble of fitting my quote within my package did not allow me for meeting my deadliest of deadlines. My story did not make air.

However, on the other hand, my misfortune did not touch outcome of WINOL, thanks to our fantastic team’s work, another video package replaced my story. I was given exclusive story video insted, which would be put underneath the news bulletin in week beginning of 30th November. James decided that, the story would be given exclusivity and posted on our News website as soon as updated.



Despite my unsuccessful attempt to make air with the story I covered, I was proud of the general output of our News Bulletin. Row over students 'taking over' Stanmore was another of Stu’s great top stories; he surprised us with his fantastic walking shot when doing PTC. Erasmus Park story was full of shock factor pictures, especially with images of cracked walls and mushrooms growing in the kitchen. Kaileigh’s Children in Need was a pleasant addition “and finally story” that signed of our bulletin with a positive accent. Maxine did and amazing job as a news presenter and Tom continuously proves unbeaten title for an excellent sports presenter. Hard but accurate decisions made by James and Editorial as well as Production team during package making effected in an amazing and another best so far News Bulletin we produced.

We were also privileged to have heard a flattering feedback from our guest Ian Anderson. He emphasised that our headlines are becoming more accurate and attractive and advised for more flexible approach from imaginative camerawork on them. He also mentioned that that this week's lead story about road smash felt wrong for the audience and that “Tuition fees felt like the right lead for the audience and the interview off the back in the studio was editorially good - although framing could have been better.” He really liked our stripe lines but also added that there was still not enough pieces to camera or reporters 'involved' in stories.

Effectively, WINOL got 260 unique user sessions on Wednesday for the second bulletin, that could be justified with the technical problems (Rich tried his best to get it up) that we had with uploading the bulletin to the website but we still managed to overtake The Basingstoke Gazette in the Alexa rankings, and have left the Hampshire Chronicle behind.