Total Pageviews

Sunday 29 November 2009

The Real Lord Northcliffe in eyes of his personal secretary Louise Owen

“There has never been anyone just like him, and the world is poorer for his death.” (Louise Owen)

Alfred Harmsworth was seen as quite a snobbish and full of luxurious life type of person, he always said “I like to surround myself with beautiful things, and flowers give me great joy. I have them sent up from my country house twice a week.” But in eyes of his personal secretary, Louise Owen he certainly gained more value rather than just being a “demon for work”.

He was no ordinary man in his profession, he would turn up for work around 11am after reading all the newspapers and he would lead all his days with gift of looking ahead, “acquiring information” and great deal of knowledge about affairs. He would always say to Louise “My dear I attribute success as you all call it to seeing ahead. I didn’t think my schoolfellows were stupid but I could always see further than they could.”

Despite his self-advertising image for others he was still showing boyish affection to his family, especially mother, who was as he often emphasised, his ideal woman, “All that I am, all that I ever hope to be, I owe to my mother.” (Abraham Lincoln)

Chief, as he always preferred to be called, always gave presents to his editors, passing them through their wives and expected no more in return than “simple message of love and loyalty” that pleased him enough. He was seen as a great friend of America and did a lot to bring the two nations together, but still preferred to be thought of as a “professional monster rather than warm hearted man he was”, says Louise.

Overwork during World War I resulted for him in Lord Northcliffe being sent to hospital in France to regain strength (1919). His temporary weakness was met with attacks from Prime Minister, for which Northcliffe’s response summarised “when every moment is of value in dealing with these world problems should occupy attention of the house. (...) It shows mentality of the Premier, and how he lacks all sense of proportion.”

When Lord Northcliffe died, “They buried him with her (his mother’s) picture on his breast, and his hands were clasped the little book, her gift to him which he had with him always”.

The Real Northcliffe, Personal Recollections of a Private Secretary (1902- 1922)
Winchester University Journalism Course History and Context of Journalism Part III