Total Pageviews

Thursday 7 April 2011

Interview with SALLY PALMER from BBC Knowledge Magazine



I interviewed Sally Palmer from BBC Knowledge Magazine.
This was part of our assignment for the third year Magazine Journalism module. I took an approach to find a magazine that would interest me and produce content that I would be interested in personally or even be eager to work for myself. I decided to go with a little bit of unconventional looks for the interview make it artistic and use cut aways from the magazine purely for the visual effect and learning new editing tricks.

BBC Knowledge Magazine looked perfect for this task.

I wanted to find out how the process of making a magazine looks and how did her day as an editor of this particular magazine is. I was curious about the history of the magazine and what was her drive for working within Magazine industry. I was also interested about her view on celebrity coverage of other magazines as BBC Knowledge is made for a completely different audience. I wanted to know her reasons why she had gone into Knowledge type of magazine content rather than celebrity orientated magazine. Another subject I touched on in the interview was the future of print magazines in light of everything going online and is video based and finally as a future graduate I wanted to find out what sort of advice could she give for young graduates of journalism or freelance writers.

As Sally says on the front page of the online website for the magazine BBC Knowledge Magazine's international publication is "for everyone who is curious about the world we all share – the natural life that inhabits it, the history that has shaped our lives upon it, and the science that is propelling us onward into the 21st century.


Each issue, the best science writers explore life, the Universe – everything. The world’s leading historians explain the past and tell us why it all matters. And wildlife experts file reports from points right across the planet."